James the Just de Berkeley 1st Baron Berkeley  24
- Born: Abt 1394, Raglan, Monmouth
- Christened: Berkeley
- Marriage: Isabel de Mowbray  in 1423 in Berkeley Castle, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, England
- Died: Nov 1463, Berkeley Castle, Gloucestershire about age 69
- Buried: St. Mary's Berkeley, Gloucestershire, England
Lord Berkeley 6th.
James De Berkeley, 6th Lord Berkeley (1st Lord Berkeley), known as "The Just", male heir to his uncle Thomas De Berkeley; and inheriting, by virtue of a special entail and fine, the castle and lordship of Berkeley, with other lords in the said fine specified, was summoned as Baron Berkeley to parliament from Oct 9, 1421 to May 23, 1461. Knighted May 19, 1426. According to the Berkeley family pedigree obtained at Berkeley Castle, he was the 11th Baron by tenure and the 1st Baron by Writ, 1394-1463. Thomas the Magnificent, Lord Berkeley, left a solitary daughter, Elizabeth, who married the powerful Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick, and guardian of Henry VI. They had three daughters. The eldest, Margaret, married the feared John Talbot, Earl of Shrewsbury, the youngest married Richard Neville, later Earl of Warwick. During the long dispute over ownership of the Berkeley estate, Isabel Mowbray, James' wife, was captured by the Countess of Shrewsbury and died in 1452 in prison in Gloucester. James promptly remarried the daughter of the Earl of Shrewsbury. The family dispute is claimed to be the longest dispute in English legal history. During this period the village of Berkeley was burned down twice - once by each side - for 'supporting the enemy', i.e. paying them rent. The life of ordinary people during this time must have been hard indeed. The dispute was eventually resolved by open battle.
Noted events in his life were:
• Acceded, 1421.
James married Isabel de Mowbray  [MRIN: 5518], daughter of Thomas Mowbray Duke of Norfolk  and Elizabeth D'Arundelle FitzAlan Baroness Mowbray , in 1423 in Berkeley Castle, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, England. (Isabel de Mowbray  died on 23 Sep 1452 in Gloucester and was buried in Greyfriars Church, Gloucester.)