Robert II of Scotland Stuart King of Scotland  24
- Born: 2 Mar 1316, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland
- Marriage (1): Elizabeth of Rowallan Mure  about 1347
- Marriage (2): Euphemia of Ross Leslie Countess of Moray  after 2 May 1355
- Marriage (3): Moira Leitch 
- Died: 19 Apr 1390, Dundonald Castle, Ayrshire at age 74
- Buried: Scone Abbey, Perthshire, England
Was in command of the second division of the Scotch Army at Halidon Hill, and
was one of the few who escaped the carnage of that disastrous day.
See Europäisch Stammtafeln Band II tafel 69 & The Complete Peerage vXIIpI,p389
There is some confusion over which daughter is which and who are their mothers
which still needs some clarification.
Robert II Stewart, King of Scotland was born on 2 March 1316 at Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland .2 He was the son of Walter Stewart, 6th High Steward of Scotland and Margorie Bruce, Princess of Scotland. He married, firstly, Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan, daughter of Sir Adam Mure of Rowallan and Janet Mure , on 22 November 1347, by Papal dispensation, which legitimised their previously born children.3 He married, secondly, Eupheme de Ross, Countess of Moray , daughter of Hugh de Ross, 4th Earl of Ross and Margaret Graham , on 2 May 1355, by Papal dispensation.4 He died on 19 April 1390 at age 74 at Dundonald Castle, Ayrshire, Scotland .4 He was buried at Scone Abbey, Scone, Perthshire, Scotland .5
Robert II Stewart, King of Scotland succeeded to the title of 7th High Steward of Scotland on 9 April 1327.3 He fought in the Battle of Halidon Hill on 19 July 1333 at Halidon Hill, Scotland , where he was in command.3 He held the office of Regent of Scotland between 1338 and 1341.3 He was created 1st Earl of Atholl [Scotland] on 16 February 1341/42.3 He held the office of Regent of Scotland between 1346 and 1357.3 He was created 1st Earl of Strathearn [Scotland] in 1358.3 He abdicated as Earl of Atholl on 31 May 1367.1 He abdicated as Earl of Strathearn on 18 April 1369.1 He gained the title of Earl of Strathearn on 4 April 1370.1 He succeeded to the title of King Robert II of Scotland on 22 February 1371.3 He was crowned King of Scotland on 26 March 1371 at Scone Abbey, Scone, Perthshire, Scotland .1
Before his accession, he had been successively joint and sole regent in David II's absence. During his reign, from 1384, his two sons were the real rulers for their unmilitary father.
1. Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 215. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Family.
2. Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family, page 214.
3. G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 310. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
4. Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume I, page 311.
5. Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family, page 226.
6. Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family, page 225.
7. Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003). Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
8. Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume I, page 77.
9. Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume II, page 376.
10. Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 449.
11. Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume III, page 509.
Noted events in his life were:
• Acceded, 26 Mar 1371, Scone Abbey, Perthshire, England.
Robert married Elizabeth of Rowallan Mure  [MRIN: 6473], daughter of Sir Adam of Rowallan Mure  and Janet Mure , about 1347. (Elizabeth of Rowallan Mure  died about 1355.)
Robert next married Euphemia of Ross Leslie Countess of Moray  [MRIN: 6060], daughter of Hugh of Ross Leslie 6th Earl of Ross  and Margaret Graham , after 2 May 1355. (Euphemia of Ross Leslie Countess of Moray  died in 1387.)
Robert next married Moira Leitch  [MRIN: 551608766].