Colin Campbell 1st Earl of Arygll  24
- Born: Abt 1431
- Marriage: Isabel Stewart  before 9 Apr 1465
- Died: 10 May 1493 about age 62
Colin Campbell, 1st Earl of Argyll was born between 1435 and 1440.1 He was the son of Archibald Campbell, Master of Campbell and Elizabeth Somerville .1 He married Isabel Stewart, daughter of John Stewart, 2nd Lord Lorn, before 9 April 1465.1 He died on 10 May 1493.1
Colin Campbell, 1st Earl of Argyll succeeded to the title of 2nd Lord Campbell [S., 1445] in 1453.1 He was created 1st Earl of Argyll [Scotland] in 1457.1 He held the office of Baillie of Cowal in 1460.1 He held the office of Master of the Household in 1464.1 He was created 1st Lord Lorne [Scotland] on 17 April 1470, together with a conveyance to him of the lands of and lordship of Lorne, after the resignation of his wife's uncle, Walter Stewart as Lord Lorne (who was then created Lord Innermeath).1 He held the office of Hereditary Justiciary and Sheriff of the lordship of Lorne in 1471.1 He held the office of Lieutenant and Commissary of Argyll in 1479.1 He held the office of Chancellor [Scotland] between 1483 and February 1488, being deprived of office after the rebellion and death of King James III.1 In 1487 he joined the conspiracy of the nobles against King James III.1 He held the office of Chancellor [Scotland] between June 1488 and 1493, reinstated by King James IV.1 He has an extensive biographical entry in the Dictionary of National Biography.2
See his Biography: http://www.thepeerage.com/e554.htm
1. G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 198. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
2. Matthew H.C.G., editor, Dictionary of National Biography on CD-ROM (Oxford, U.K.: Oxford University Press, 1995), Campbell, Colin. Hereinafter cited as Dictionary of National Biography.
3. Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1285. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
4. Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 1279.
5. Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 104. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition.
Noted events in his life were:
• Acceded, 1457.
Colin married Isabel Stewart  [MRIN: 13371], daughter of Robert of Lorn Stewart 1st Lord Lorn  and Joan Stuart , before 9 Apr 1465. (Isabel Stewart  died on 26 Oct 1510.)