Eleanor (Leonor) of Castile Countess de Ponthieu  24
- Born: 1244, Castile, Spain
- Marriage: Edward I Longshanks Plantagenet King of England  [9H5B-VJS] on 18 Oct 1254 in Abbey of Las Huelgas, Burgos, Castile
- Died: 29 Nov 1290, Herdeby, Near Grantham, Lincolnshire at age 46
- Buried: Westminster Abbey, London, England
Another name for Eleanor was Joana.
FamilySearch ID: LC5J-YK4.
Acceded: 19 AUG 1274,
Westminster Abbey, London, England
Her devotion to Edward helped bring out his better qualities; after her death, his rule became somewhat arbitrary. Eleanor was the daughter of King Ferdinand III of Castile and his wife, Joan of Ponthieu.
In 1254 Eleanor was married to Lord Edward, son of England's King Henry III. In honour of the event, her half brother, Alfonso X of Castile, transferred to Edward his claims to Gascony. When Henry III's baronial opponents seized power in England in 1264, Eleanor was sent for safety to France; she returned in October 1265, after Edward had crushed the rebels.
Eleanor accompanied Edward on a crusade from 1270 to 1273. The story that she saved his life at Acre (now in Israel) by sucking poison from a dagger wound is evidently apocryphal. After Edward ascended the throne, Eleanor was criticized for allegedly mistreating the tenants on her lands. Upon her death, Edward erected the famous Eleanor Crosses--several of which still stand--at each place where her coffin rested on its way to London.
Eleanor went with Edward on crusade in 1270; they were crowned 19 Aug 1274. She was one of the best-liked queens in British history. Her brother reigned as King Alfonso X (1252-84). "Ancestral Roots..." (Balt., 1992) pp. 110-30 states she d. at Grantham, England. She was age 10 when she married.
Has ancestry chart in Wikipedia
Noted events in her life were:
• Acceded: Countess of Ponthieu, 1279. was Countess of Ponthieu in her own right from 1279 until her death in 1290, succeeding her mother and ruling together with her husband.
• Acceded: Queen Consort of England, 16 Nov 1272. was the first Queen Consort of Edward I of England 16 November 1272 \endash 28 November 1290
• Coronation: Queen Consort of England, 19 Aug 1274.
Eleanor married Edward I Longshanks Plantagenet King of England  [9H5B-VJS] [MRIN: 439], son of Henry III Plantagenet King of England  [94RZ-9SP] and Eleanor of Provence Berenger  [LC18-J2C], on 18 Oct 1254 in Abbey of Las Huelgas, Burgos, Castile. (Edward I Longshanks Plantagenet King of England  [9H5B-VJS] was born on 17 Jun 1239 in Westminster Palace, London, England, christened on 22 Jun 1239 in Westminster, Middlesex, England, died on 7 Jul 1307 in Burgh-On-The-Sands, Near Carlisle, Cumberland, England and was buried in Westminster Abbey, London, England.)