Theophilus Clinton Fiennes 4th Earl Lincoln  25
- Born: Abt 1600, Sempringham, Lincolnshire, England
- Marriage (1): Bridget Fiennes Countess Lincoln  about Mar 1622 in Broughton Castle, Oxfordshire, England
- Marriage (2): Elizabeth Gorges Countess of Lincoln  [LZ23-CJP]
- Died: 21 May 1667, Near Charing Cross, London, Middlesex, England about age 67
In will of father called "Sir Theophilus Fines, Lord Clinton and Say".
Sir Theophilus Clinton, 4th Earl of Lincoln was born circa 1600.3 He was the son of Thomas Clinton, 3rd Earl of Lincoln and Elizabeth Knyvett.2 He married, secondly, Elizabeth Gorges , daughter of Sir Arthur Gorges and Lady Elizabeth Clinton .3 He married, firstly, Bridget Fiennes , daughter of William Fiennes, 1st Viscount Say and Sele , circa 1622.3 He died on 21 May 1667,, having by his 1st wife had:.3
Sir Theophilus Clinton, 4th Earl of Lincoln was also known as Theophilus Fiennes.3 He was invested as a Knight, Order of the Bath (K.B.) in 1616.3 He succeeded to the title of 12th Lord Clinton [E., 1299] on 15 January 1618/19.3 He succeeded to the title of 4th Earl of Lincoln [E., 1572] on 15 January 1618/19.3 He was educated at Queens' College, Cambridge University, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.3 He was he raised 300 volunteers to assist the dispossessed Elector Palatine, brother-in-law of King Charles I, during the Thirty Years War in November 1624.3 In 1626 he was imprisoned in the Tower of London for opposing King Charles I's forced loan.3 He gained the rank of Colonel in 1642 in the service of the Regiment of Foot, Parliamentarian Army.3 He was Resident Commissioner for Parliament with the Scottish Army on 16 December 1645.3 He held the office of Speaker of the House of Lords on 1 August 1647.3 He was Commissioner for the Colonies in December 1660.3 On 5 May 1675 married 2nd his cousin Elizabeth (buried ), daughter of Sir Arthur Gorges, of Chelsea, by Elizabeth, daughter of 2nd EARL OF LINCOLN and widow of Sir Robert Stanley.3
Children of Sir Theophilus Clinton, 4th Earl of Lincoln and Bridget Fiennes
Lady Catharine Clinton + d. c Jul 16431
Lady Arabella Clinton + 2
Margaret Trefusis <p22809.htm>+ d. c Oct 16882
Edward Clinton, Lord Clinton + b. 30 Dec 1624, d. b 21 Apr 16572
1. George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume I, page 14. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Baronetage.
2. Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003). Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
3. Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 824.
Theophilus married Bridget Fiennes Countess Lincoln  [MRIN: 551611181], daughter of William Fiennes 1st Viscount Saye and Sele  and Elizabeth Temple , about Mar 1622 in Broughton Castle, Oxfordshire, England. (Bridget Fiennes Countess Lincoln  was born about 1604 in Broughton Castle, Oxfordshire, England.)
Theophilus next married Elizabeth Gorges Countess of Lincoln  [LZ23-CJP] [MRIN: 551616009], daughter of Sir Arthur Gorges  and Elizabeth Clinton Fiennes . (Elizabeth Gorges Countess of Lincoln  [LZ23-CJP] was born in 1604 in Chelsea, Middlesex, England, Great Britain and died on 5 May 1675.)