Elizabeth (Betsy) F. Atha  36,439
- Born: 9 May 1805, Washington County, Virginia, United States of America 36
- Marriage (1): John Monroe  on 19 Feb 1824 in Greenbrier County, Virginia, USA
- Marriage (2): Peter Cook  [LXMC-23Q] on 15 Jan 1834 in Monroe County, Virginia, USA
- Died: 6 Aug 1859, Liberty Township, St. Joseph County, Indiana, United States of America at age 54 36
- Buried: Fair Cemetery, NW of LaPaz, Liberty Township, St. Joseph County, Indiana, USA
Another name for Elizabeth was Betsy Atha.
FamilySearch ID: LXMC-LGL.
No records exist for Galway prior to the date of the Anglo-Norman invasion; among the earliest preserved the name Athy appears as a leading family in that city. It subsequently became one of the "Tribes of Galway", * which appellation, according to Hardiman, was invented as a term of opprobrium by the Cromwellian forces who regarded unfavourably the close bond of friendship and relationship between the chief families of the city, and it was afterwards adopted by them as a mark of distinction. Nevertheless the first time the name Athy comes into prominence in the history of the city is (c. 1320) as a party to a series of deadly disputes between the Blakes and the Athys in which the Athys were worsted. They were never comparable in influence with the more powerful of the Tribes, but several of them held important posts, e.g., William de Athy, Treasurer of Connacht 1388. The surname Athy, now scarce, is a type which is common in most countries but very rare in Ireland, being formed from a place name. The Athys were of Norman stock, settled at Athy, Co. Kildare (the Red Book of Ormond records two tenants named de Athy in Co. Kildare in 1311) whence they soon migrated to Galway.
307zrad Elizabeth, b. VA ca. 1800-05; m. John MUNR0E, Greenbriar Co., VA, 19 Feb. 1824; n.k.o.
Noted events in her life were:
• Census, 1850, My Division, Marshall, Indiana, United States of America. http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1850usfedcenancestry&indiv=try&h=2103341
Year: 1850; Census Place: My Division, Marshall, Indiana; Roll: M432_160; Page: 500B; Image: 109
Name: Elizabeth Cook
Birth Year: abt 1805
Home in 1850: My Division, Marshall, Indiana
Family Number: 755
Peter Cook 26
James L Cook 15
Wm N Cook 12
Saml P Cook 11
F H Cook 9
Elizabeth married John Monroe  [MRIN: 2892] on 19 Feb 1824 in Greenbrier County, Virginia, USA.
Elizabeth next married Peter Cook  [LXMC-23Q] [MRIN: 190], son of Cook  and Unknown, on 15 Jan 1834 in Monroe County, Virginia, USA. (Peter Cook  [LXMC-23Q] was born on 27 Jan 1814 in Monroe County, Virginia, USA,36 died on 24 Jul 1865 in Liberty Township, St. Joseph County, Indiana, United States of America 36 and was buried in Fair Cemetery, NW of LaPaz, Liberty Township, St. Joseph County, Indiana, USA.)